Sunday, May 27, 2012

Would you like some cheese with that whine?


How many times have you heard a high school English teacher get asked that question to end all questions: “Why do we have to reeeeead thisssss!?!?”

I’ve always been a reader. For me, “playing outside” meant mastering 1-handed skills. I could pedal my bike in figure 8s around the driveway with my nose in a book—steering with my right hand and the book in my left. I’d swing, climb trees, and wander through the woods all while reading.

Of course I’ll be the first to admit I had a love/hate relationship with English class. There were definitely some teachers I didn’t get along with, and some books I whined about. Even though there was some whining and complaining, I love books. I love literature. I love reading. I love words.   

These loves led me to become an English Education major at Syracuse University. The best part of my teaching experiences was playing matchmaker between my students and books. It was amazing to see some of their eyes light up when I pulled something new off the shelf. The same students who claimed “books make my brain hurt!” were those who realized books can change people, and ease painful situations.

It was also a pleasure to be able to be a part of the conversations regarding what books were chosen for the 11th grade curriculum. Why we had the books we had and also what new books should be added. I gave each of my students an index card and asked them “What do you want to read?” For many this was the first time they had ever been asked that and they relished the opportunity. Some of the most non-English-y kids turned in full index cards.

Giving a kid the perfect book for them is like giving a mouse a cookie. Soon they’ll be back for more.

As my college career comes to a close I’ve been thinking back on all the books I’ve read for school over the years. Since junior year of high school I’ve kept a list of all the books I’ve read both for class and for fun.

As I reviewed the list I started thinking about why I’d read some of these books and whether or not they were worth it. Did I get more out of my leisure reading or my required reading? Would required reading have been better if I’d read it leisurely? Do any of my leisure books have a place in the classroom?

I decided to start this blog to answer these questions. A blog that will do more than simply review books and discuss “What is literature?” I want to discuss the real-life impact of some of the most popular books read in schools these days as well as the books I’ve read to supplement my required reading.

So, how does it work?

Each entry will contain a brief summary of the book along with my commentary and analysis, followed by a brief Report Card. The report card is my rating of the book on a scale of A-F along with my thoughts on whether or not said book belongs in a classroom context.

With the invention of the Kindle and Nook, and ebooks becoming all the rage, books are going to be in for an interesting time. The same goes with teaching as state standards are being re-worked and new teacher evaluations are starting a revolution. I figure this is perfect timing to start a blog combining the two loves of my life: books and the act of passing them on to others who I know will love them as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment